Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:17:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Carlos A M dos Santos <casantos@cpmet.ufpel.tche.br>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XInitThreads (X11 threading support), how do you compile it?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, the fast fingers of Andresen,Jason R. wrote:

AR> Well, I've recently run into a program that requires threaded X11
AR> libraries (the newest version of xine), however I cannot figure
AR> out how to compile XFree-4 with thread support.  I know the XFree
AR> 3.3.6 that ships with FreeBSD is compiled with threading, but it
AR> is much too slow on my video card.

The threading support in XFree86 is in no way related to the video card.
Th XFree86 server is not multithreaded. Onli client applications can
beneffit from the MT support in Xlib and Xt.

AR> How do you compile XFree with threading support?  I've found
AR> nothing in the configuration that even hints at it, in fact the
AR> only mention of threads in the documentation is in reference to
AR> WinNT.  The XFree FAQ doesn't even mention anything about it.  I
AR> know this is more of an XFree question, but I'm afraid of their
AR> mailing lists. :P

Th MT support in XFree 3.3.6 was made by me, based on hacks made by
someone else whose name I don't remember. I udated it later for XFree 4
but due to lack of time (thesis first :-) I had no oportunity to send an
official patch to XFree86. But I sent it to Jean-Marc Zucconi, that is
currenly working on a new XFree-4 port with thread support. Stay tuned to
the "-ports" mailing list.

Back to thesis...

--
Carlos A. M. dos Santos

Federal University of Pelotas         Meteorological Research Center
Av. Ildefonso Simoes Lopes 2791       Pelotas, RS, Brasil, CEP 96060-290
WWW: http://www.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br   RENPAC (X.25): 153231641
Phone: +55 53 277-6767                FAX: +55 53 277-6722