Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:53:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another advocacy opportunity

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Wes Peters wrote:

> No, but it might count as editing by committee.  Making someone else's
> writing 1% better is a lot less work than writing in the first place.  ;^)

It needs more than 1%.

> I wish I could explain it, too.  I'm working on something along those lines
> for the March Daemon's Advocate, but the thoughts are a long way from
> jelling, let alone having them down on disk.

Try this on for size:

	To better coordinate information exchange with others in the
	security community, FreeBSD has a focal point for security related
	communications:  The FreeBSD security officer. The position is
	actually staffed by a team of dedicated security officers, their
	main tasks being to send out advisories when there are known
	security holes and to act on reports of possible security problems
	with FreeBSD.  The Security Officers also communicate with the
	various CERT and FIRST teams around the world, sharing information
	about possible vulnerabilities in FreeBSD or utilities commonly
	used by FreeBSD. The Security Officers are also active members of
	those organizations.

I stole this from http://www.freebsd.org/security/#sec and removed a
couple sentences.  I think this shows a very proactive concern for
security.  While it may be possible to just leave the security issue alone
after that, I think that there should be something to sum it up and say
and this is why johnny hacker won't break into your FreeBSD after he got
into your Solaris box.

On the other hand, I think this is far from perfect and welcome new ideas.

Jamie