Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 19:53:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ivt@gamma.ru (Igor Timkin)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: blkfree: freeling free block/frag

> Every 4-8 days my news server (~10 full incoming feeds, ~50
> outgoing feeds) crash:
> panic: blkfree: freeing free block
> or
> panic: blkfree: freeing free frag

[ ... ]

> /dev/ccd0c	/var/spool/news	ufs	rw,async,noatime,noexec,nosuid 0 2

[ ... ]

> dev=0x1502, block=20372, fs=/var/spool/news
> panic: blkfree: freeing free frag
> syncing disk
> (unfortunately at this point the system is freeze and I have
> make the hardware reset, so I don't have crash dump).

[ ... ]

> Any suggestion ?

Short answer:

Your options are:

(1)	Live with it
(2)	Don't mount the device async

Long Answer:

Generally, this type of problem means you should rebuild the news spool,
since *any* corruption could result in invalid information on the disk
that could result in a panic.

Most likely, you crashed once, and you expected fsck to do something
that it can't do reliably: recover an async mounted partition.  The
partition was "recovered" and marked clean, but when you reference
a particular disk metadata construct, it goes off into the weeds
because the recovery was imperfect.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---