Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 23:03:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! :-( (fwd)

> > This is looking like it may well be a configuration problem, but I don't
> > really have a clue.  I did some minimal debugging and tracing but it's not
> > clear to me how it's all supposed to work together.
>
> Well, THIS is certainly interesting:
>
> > de1 <Digital DC21040 Ethernet> rev 35 int a irq 11 on pci0:10
>                                                   ^^
> > de1: not configured; kernel is built for only 1 device.
>
> AND
>
> > ahc1 <Adaptec 3940 SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci1:5
>                                                         ^^
> > 	[pci1 uses memory from fbc00000 to fbcfffff]

Yeah, I noticed that only after having been able to borrow a PC to capture
all the messages.  Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to stop the
screen and look at the messages while they are on the screen (and when the
machine blows up, scroll lock and pause have little effect).  However, de1
is not being installed, as far as I can tell..

> Can you explain a little more about this system?  What's in the thing?
> I've never seen one of these:
> 	chip2 <DEC 21050 PCI-PCI bridge> rev 2 on pci0:11
> Before! :-)

As it's been explained to me, that is a PCI to PCI bridge ("PPB"), which
"connects" two PCI busses together, or somesuch.  It's a gateway onto a
different bus.  Apparently certain PCI peripherals, such as 4-way Ethernet
cards, like to glue 4 PCI controllers together on a bus and then provide a
single gateway onto the system's PCI bus.  In this case, the AHA3940
apparently puts two controllers behind a PPB.  I'm mostly familiar with bus
bridges in other contexts, so I am not sure that my description is totally
correct, and I have no idea what the issues all are.

I'll be the first to admit that PCI puzzles me.  I'm not really a PC
hardware guy - I leave that to the geniuses like Rod.  Speaking of Rod, he
was the one who sold execpc.com the motherboard and PCI Ethernet cards in
question.

Thanks,

... Joe