Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:39:28 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Georg Reilinger <georgreilinger@yahoo.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.2 with pre-built KDE 3.5 package from FreeBSD 7.1 DVD

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 15:26:12 +0000 (GMT), Georg Reilinger wrote:
> -- Excuse me... you're joking, right? I assume you have a plentycore
> -- processor with Gigs of RAM, and already two shells show a problem?
> -- That sounds totally wrong.
>
> Is that sarcasm or irony?

I'm not sure. :-)

It just makes me sad to see that today's users with their
more-than-sufficient hardware can still run into a lack of
resources with something so "simple" as a shell window,
simply because today's "simple" isn't simple anymore.

If I look back in time... my first BSD system was a Pentium
with 150 MHz and 64 MB RAM. This machine had been running
a desktop, playing MP3 music, downloading stuff via FTP,
compiling the OS kernel, burning a CD, and still providing
a responsive web browser -- all at the same time.

Of course software matters, or to be precise: It _is_ the
software that matters. The quotient

	                   resources provided by hardware
	overall speed  =  --------------------------------
	                   resources consumed by software

doesn't seem to improve (because both numerator and denominator
keep increasing quickly). While every release of FreeBSD
tends to run faster on the _same_ hardware, this advantage
is eaten by the "big stuff" (like desktop environments,
office suites and web browsers for example). Most people
seem to think that this is normal.

So if someone tells: "I open two shells and this almost crashes
the system", it sounds terribly wrong. I know it's not about
the actual shells, but the environment they're being used in.
That's everything I wanted to express with this statement.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany