Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 19:02:34 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, nirva@ishiboo.com, hasty@netcom.com, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-10 Mouse Remote patch

On Mon, Jun 22, 1998 at 01:28:03AM -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>I think that we can map the X10 remote mouse events to anything
>that we want for the sake of general X event handling
>it would be nice if we can map the mouse events to X events however
>I am not so sure given that we have support for only one IR
>unit or rather a mouse with more than 15 buttons so lets just
>say many buttons 8)

The X protocol imposes some limits on the core input devices (keyboard
and pointer).  The core pointer can have no more than five buttons, and
only X and Y movement.  The core keyboard can have up to 247 (or 248)
keys.  These are hard limits imposed by the client/server communcation
protocol.

The XInput extension extends considerably what sort of events an input
device can generate, but of course for a client to use them it must
be XInput-aware.

>Randall has done the hard part which is decoding the mouse events
>from the X10 Remote Mouse since Randall wrote the decoding routine
>I am sure he can elaborate on the protocol. If you are interested
>in following the code it is available in -current's moused.c or
>if you like I can mail you moused.c

To be honest, I don't have the time to be interested in the details
at the moment.  I was just suggesting that if you want to deal with
this using X events it might be worth taking a look at the XInput
extension to see if it will allow the sort of things you want (and I
don't really know if it will or not).  XFree86 3.3.2 does have some
XInput device support currently for some tablets, a touch screen and a
joystick.

The XFree86 mouse code is currently maintained by Kazutaka Yokata
(who was already on the CC list).  If XInput looks like it might be
useful and you want to follow it up, I can put you in touch with one of
the people who maintains our XInput support.

David