Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:11:03 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recovering from clobbered boot manager?

Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org> wrote:

> So, whats the easist way to recover from a clobbered boot manager in
> FreeBSD?  I kind of naively assumed that this would be easy to do from an
> installation CDROM (4.3-RELEASE) but I failed to get it to work.  Going
> Configure->Fdisk in sysinstall didn't work for me.

     For the basic procedure, see the FAQ.  However, one important piece
missing from the FAQ is that you may have to use the "boot0cfg" command
to enable LBA booting (this is REQUIRED if your FreeBSD partition is
above the 1024-cylinder/8GB limit, assuming your BIOS supports it, and
virtually all recent BIOSes do).  See the boot0cfg man page for more
info.

     Note that the boot0cfg uses the term, "packet", to refer to LBA
booting.  Among other things, you need to use the boot0cfg option,
"-o packet".  Read the man page.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com