Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 1996 06:46:04 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Gabor Kondorosi <kondor@po.cc.yamaguchi-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif & others

Gabor Kondorosi wrote in message ID
<Pine.SV4.3.91.960705141920.929C-100000@apl2.sv>:
> 1. What's the relation (if any) between FreeBSD and BSD/OS? Do they have
> the same historical roots perhaps?

They are both derrived from the BSD 4.4 lite releases from the
Computer Science Research Group (CSRG) at the University of
California, Berkeley.

There is a certain ammount of co-operation between the two groups, but
for the most part we do separate development, and as a result our
source trees have diverged. FreeBSD can, however, run binaries from
BSD/OS.

> 2. Does the FreeBSD-kernel support multicast routing? Does the (latest)
> package contain "mrouted"?

Yes on both counts. Multicast transmission / reception is enabled by
default. You will need to compile a new kernel with ``options
MROUTING'' and run mrouted if you want to actually have a multicast
router.

> 3. Is Motif available to FreeBSD (XFree86)?

Yes. There are several different Motif versions for FreeBSD. I believe
that several people recomment the one released by X Inside, Inc
(http://www.xinside.com/)

Gary