Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:35:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (not seeing) ECC penalty on Natoma

 * With 128MB (2x16x36) and an async /usr, i see no difference in the mw
 * build time between checking nothing and doing ECC.  I would think that

It can be either because

(1) Natoma doesn't do anything when ECC is turned on

(2) Natoma's ECC is as fast as non-ECC (or non-ECC is as slow as ECC)

(3) Your benchmark does not exercise memory bandwidth very much

I don't know how you can tell the difference between 1 and 2, but at
least to see if it's 3 or not, pick up

  ftp://stampede.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/bcopy/bcopy-960524.tar.gz

(yeah I know, haven't updated for ages) and look at the plot.  (You'll
need gnuplot to get a gif output.)

You can see some other (old) results in

  http://now.cs.berkeley.edu/Td/bcopy.html

Satoshi