Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:41:50 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@wup.de>
To:        Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
Cc:        akl@wup.de, amr@wup.de, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RIP vs. OSPF

On Tue, Nov 18, 1997 at 02:36:31PM -0500, Stefan Molnar wrote:

> There is a good book you should get, it explains it all.
> Routing In The Internet
> by Christian Huitema
> Prentice Hall
> ISBN 0-13-132192-7
>
> The best why I see when it is better to use OSPF is whn you have so
> many IPs on one network that RIP storms start to happen, or are going
> to happen.  It mainly happens when you have 10+ PM2e on the same
> logical wire.  But I do not if NT knows what it is. You have to have
> a dynamic routing protocol?

Thanks a lot for your really fine statements about what one
could/should do.

>From what IŽve heard from you and what I read myself in the
stevens book (tcpip illustrated) weŽll do the following:

	WeŽll start with RIP V2 since it's a easy to configure
	and enable routing protocol and it's available for all
	platforms easily.

	When looking at gatedŽs OSPF config file, I think
	it's something you might only need for a larger intranet.

	Portmasters will be in a separate segment and will
	get static routes to a default gateway which will
	be located in the "backbone" on the router.

We don't have so much different routes, so that routing table
updates every 30 seconds won't produce that much traffic, but
we'll have an eye on that.

Perhaps one more question. One of the features of RIP version II
is the routing table update via multicast to only the routing
machines in a subnet.

What do I have to configure, if I want to enable multicast. I read,
that there can be several hosts combined to different multicast
groups. Is that figured out / configured automatically be the
multicast protocol or do I have to configure multicast groups
(the routing machines for example) by hand ???

Thanks a lot for all your help

	Andreas ///	(getting more and more familiar with
			dynamic routing ;-)

--
Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH	phone:	+49 2173 3964 161
Support Unix - Andreas Klemm		fax:	+49 2173 3964 222