Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 14:35:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        ircadmin@shellnet.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet Root access

In reply:
> I've just installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 via FTP, and I can telnet into the machine
> using any other user than root. The prompt simply says that the login fails,
> but any other users is OK. I've check capitalisation, but I'm not sure why
> this is happening.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, please reply
>
> Thanks.
> Steven Fletcher
> steven@shellnet.co.uk

ahem...

why would one wish to have the root password pass over an insecure
network in plaintext form???

man su

also, for most practical purposes, you should not even be using
telnet...  i suggest using ssh/sshd, because no passwords, in fact
nothing in the entire session, is transmitted in plaintext.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or