Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:41:48 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jeremy Karlson <karlj000@unbc.ca>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

At 01:09 PM 12/20/2001, Jeremy Karlson wrote:

>I don't think "commercial" does it either.  There can be commercially
>created GPLed code - JFS, for example.

JFS is not commercial. It is GPLed and thus cannot be sold for
money. Yes, it was created by a commercial entity. But it is
not commercial now.

>> McKusick's essay in that book is worth a read. Stallman and Perens'
>> contributions are pure propaganda.
>
>I'd like to take your opinion as one that matters, but the above sounds
>like the statement of a person whose mind is set in one regard and rejects
>all other opinions.

Not so. Perens and Stallman's contributions to that book are not new
material. They're the same deceptive rhetoric that both have always
spouted.

>Stallman and Perens essays may be completely preachy,
>and I don't doubt that, but I'm sure there is still something interesting
>and worth reading in them.

The propaganda techniques are mildly interesting... but, again,
you've seen them before if you've read anything else by these
people.

>What about the other contributors?  Something,
>say, that isn't about the GPL and BSDL fight?

There's nothing in there about a "GPL and BSDL fight," unless
you count the denigrating remarks about BSD by Stallman and
Raymond. Except for McKusick's essay, which is a straightforward
history, the book is steeply slanted toward the GPL, which most
of the authors praise completely uncritically.

--Brett