Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:14:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are, but the title fits]...

In reply:

> > > How do you propose to bell this cat?  It has no neck...
> >
> > okay terry, now you got me doing it too...
> >
> > get a life...
>
> I was entirely serious, even if my intentionally mixed metaphor was
> (apparently) too opaque.
>

> How do you propose to "get FreeBSD recognized by professional
> developers and software companies"?
>
> What are the steps you believe will achieve this goal, so that the
> FreeBSD people can "get off their butts" and "do it"?
>
> Enlightenment is not some "thing" you can just "give" to professional
> developers and software companies, after which they will "have" it,
> and forever after prefer FreeBSD to all other platforms.
>
> You can complain that the discussion is not resolving "the real issue",
> but the complaints do no good without some action to put in their stead;
> what implementable *process* do you propose?

i have been fairly point blank on how to get them to notice FreeBSD...

[recap time]

1). get rid of mail-order as the primary marketing focus for FreeBSD,
concentrate on matching every Linix CD on the shelves at every local
hole-in-the wall computer shop with FreeBSD CDs...  mail-order has
it's place, but keep it in it's place...

2). magazine coverage.

3). books, gimme a yell when you are ready Jordan!

4). don't compare to linux...  use Solaris, SCO, Interactive, Dell,
etc...  for comparisons...  although push the fact of the linux
emulation...  this makes for more apple<->apple treatment...  it may
be entertaining to poke fun at linux, but like the gentleman said,
linux was never intended to be unix...

5). university library sales...  get new compugeeks running it...  our
universities are not exectly teaching operatings systems like they used
to to today's "Clueless" HS grads...

6). VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
> ---
> "Never substitute activity for action" -- Seneca, Stoic philosoper
> ---
7). Take no prisoners!@#

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or