Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:11:19 +0200 (EET)
From:      Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
To:        Richard Cotrina <rcc@demo.telefonica.com.pe>
Cc:        Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: USB ADSL modems ?

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Richard Cotrina wrote:

> Currently, I am using an Alcatel ADSL USB Modem (Speed Touch USB) in a
> windoze box (only works with win98) configured for a PPPoA connection.

> ugen0: ALCATEL Speed Touch USB , rev 1.10/0.00, addr 2
> So, it the kernel could recognize it, but I don't know how to make it works.

Speed Touch requires special driver to do AAL5 encapsulation and
to download SpeedTouch firmware. However, until Alcatel releases
specifications and firmware under some usable licence, writing such
driver is impossible.

There are promises, that after completeing Linux driver
(http://kapu.name.daemon.xs4all.be:8080/Projects/), these will made
avalible.

Just now, we can only wait.

best regards,