Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 07:48:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        pschwenk@crooow.wcupa.edu (Peter Schwenk)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a new hard disk

In a previous message, Peter Schwenk said:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I know this has been discussed many times before, but I really don't
> understand the fdisk and disklabel process involved with preparing a new
> hard disk for use.  I've been using FreeBSD for quite some time now, but
> never was required to mess with this stuff, sysinstall did it for me.
> Now I am adding a SCSI drive to an existing FreeBSD 2.1.0-on-IDE-drive
> setup, and, having come from the dullard world of DOS, I don't quite get
> what I'm supposed to do.  It's probably terminology that's bogging me
> down.  Here's the specifics.  I hope someone will be patient with me and
> push me in the right direction.

I just did this last night, with my SyQuest drive. And I used sysinstall
to do it.

Steps:
	1) start sysinstall (from /stand) as root.
	2) Go to 'Custom' menu
	3) Go to 'Partition' menu

It will then give you a choice of the disks on the system.

	4) Choose the new disk, then create the fdisk info
	   on it. (ie make DOS and FreeBSD slices). I
	   make it a complete FreeBSD disk since its a removable
	   disk.
	5) Do a write (W) then quit (Q).
	6) Then go into the 'Label' menu, and create a partion
	   in the FreeBSD slice.
	7) Do a write and quit. Then exit out of sysinstall.
	8) Do a newfs on the raw partition.

That's it!

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

           Ruht Row!            -- Astro, (the Jetsons)