Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 13:18:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Igor Timkin <ivt@gamma.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: blkfree: freeling free block/frag

Well, Terry might be correct, but in this case I doubt it.  This
crash is identical to what I was seeing on both of my newsservers under
2.x.

(I think David Rivers is seeing the same thing).

I reported it to hackers numerous times, and John D. finally took a look
at it one time, and I don't recall exactly what was wrong, but there were
some boundary cases or somesuch that weren't being handled properly.  Then
he was going to make a patch up for it, but I never saw it, or perhaps it
was integrated into -current, and never backported.

In the mean time, my solution was to upgrade to 3.x and 'voila, no more
crashes.

So I would upgrade to 3.x, and see if it goes away.  If it survives make
worlds and such (and the problem isn't symptomatic of bad memory that I
can see), then I would lean towards this solution.