Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 10:04:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        UCTC Sysadmin <support@transbay.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB ports replacing legacy ports on new machines

On 29-Oct-00 at 03:20, Poul-Henning Kamp (phk@critter.freebsd.dk) wrote:
> But thinking that technical parameters has anything to do with
> which one survives is na=EFve.

I've had way too much personal experience with better technology
falling to something that has managed to garner wider support.

> One is backed by Intel, the other by Apple.  In the end it will be
> decided by who of those two is able to foster the biggest market
> by supporting their pet standard on motherboards etc etc.

It was my impression that both had wide enough support for that
to not be an issue.  The Firewire standard and implementation
(chipsets) lagged USB; but I expect that soon most motherboards
will come with both; just like most now come with on-board USB.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm probably not following
the issue closely enough though...

> And of course, until the M$ debuggers support firewire out of the
> box, firewire has a significant up-hill battle to fight.

I'm not sure I see why debuggers would need explicit support.
But then I avoid Windows as much as possible...

-Pat