Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:18:40 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS & sound drivers question

On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 01:30:11PM -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> I've been playing with DEVFS and the SLICE code.  I ran into a problem
> with running RealAudio 5.0 (Linux) which was that it likes to look
> at the sound devices without a unit number at the end (ie. /dev/sndstat
> instead of /dev/sndstat0).  The DEVFS entries are only made with the
> unit number appended.  I modified the snd & pcm drivers such that
> if the unit is "0" then also make the DEVFS entries for this device without
> the unit number appended.  This and ownership changes of the devices lets
> me run RealAudio with DEVFS.
>
> Should DEVFS make these devices (MAKEDEV did)?

Yes.  I remembered that there was _some_ change I'd forgotten to do
before I committed that (it's been lying around in my tree for ages),
but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was.

Do you have suitable diffs?  (I don't have a soundcard, so I couldn't
really test the code - I just thought that something would be better
than nothing...)

> Should these be made as a sym-link and can DEVFS make a sym-link?

DEVFS can't make symlinks, AFAIK.  The easiest way for you to find out
is probably to ask Julian ;-)

Eivind.