Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:28:55 +0100
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mine.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beginning C++ in FreeBSD

At 19:05 21/04/2004, Chris Pressey wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:28:48 -0600
>Dan MacMillan <flowers@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> These are not analagous.  The reason things get lost in the
>> translation of human language is that it is not possible to represent
>> every expression in one human language with complete precision in
>> another.
>
>I challenge you to defend this (Sapir-Worfian) claim with a specific
>example.  :)

  I'm not a biblical scholar, but I've been told that the word in
Isaiah 7:14 which is often translated as "virgin" was used at the
time to mean both "virgin" and "young woman".  Presumably the
original author knew which he (or she) meant, but the precise
meaning was lost in translation.

Colin Percival