Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 16:22:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de
Cc:        stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, jhs@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: print/gs4

 * Maybe we should have some checksum (md5 ?)
 * of each file installed from a port or
 * package in the "+CONTENTS" file ?
 *
 * Before removing any file of a package,
 * all the checksums could be verified,
 * and a warning printed for all files that
 * fail the test. This way you know which
 * config file to preserve for the new
 * version :)
 *
 * With a "force" flag to pkg_delete, all
   ^^^^
You mean "without"? :)

 * files that did match the checksum could
 * be removed, with a "FORCE" flag, ALL
 * files could be removed unconditionally.

Unfortunately, this only solves part of the problem, as unchanged
"shared" files between the versions will be removed as well.  We need
some kind of "registry" (full with inverted index and stuff, so we
know what file is used from what package) to let people have multiple
versions....

 * And how about making the pkg_delete a
 * part of the installation of the next
 * version of the same port (by some means) ?
 *
 * This way I could just install gs-4.01
 * and need not bother for files that are
 * to be deleted with no replacement.
 *
 * Kleening up the remains of old ports
 * can be a pain, else ...

Maybe we can add a test to pkg_add that checks if there is something
that looks like a different version of the same port, and ask the user
if s/he wants to pkg_delete it first....

Satoshi