Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:18:57 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: serial console

>Hans de Hartog <dehartog@rootsr.com> wrote:
> > Something else you might want to try: put
> > -P in /boot.config and disconnect your
> > keyboard during the BIOS-blabla
>
>/boot.config is obsolete

No, it isn't obsolete, and it works. And I see no immediate need/plan
to make it obsolete.

>and doesn't work with loader(8).

/boot.config is for the boot2 block, not for loader(8).

>I'd suggest you write the following line into /boot/loader.conf:
>kernel_options="-h"
[...]

>This is meaningful only to the loader itself, AFAIK.

This is wrong. If you set "console=comconsole", the kernel will
use the serial console too.

The difference between the two methods, -h in /boot.config and
console="comconsole" in /boot/loader.conf, is the timing at which
the serial console is started.

If you put -h in /boot.config, you will get your serial console
working all way through the boot2 block, loader(8), and the kernel.

If you put console="comconsole" in /boot/loader.conf,
the serial console won't get any output until loader(8) encounters
this statment after it initializes itself and prints the first few
lines of opening messages.

So, if you want to have the serial console working as early as
possible, put -h in /boot.config.

Kazu