Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 22:03:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

> > > So maybe a box with just a power connector, a FW port and a USB hub
> > > chip (to seperate the "A" and "B" devices).
> >
> > If you are talking about external connections, I think the Apple iMac
> > only has power, USB, and audio-out connectors.  (I don't know what they
> > use for the internal devices; but I would suspect it's pretty standard
> > PCI with IDE/ATAPI, etc.)
> >
> > Of course, the iMac does have one big problem - there's no PowerPC
> > port of FreeBSD...
>
> It also has a nasty IDE interface, a nasty modem, a nasty ethernet
> port, a nasty ATI graphics chip, a nasty sound chip.

Ok, so you're NOT talking about just external connections.  I couldn't
tell from you original posting.

> So even if you bought a bare motherboard, you'd end up with all
> this useless, expensive crap nailed to it.

Somehow I suspect that it's still cheaper than USB or FireWire versions.
After all, IDE is basicly still alive because it's cheaper than SCSI.

> If I needed any of that, I'd buy a USB or a firewire version, and
> plug in whatever I needed (and _only_ whatever I needed).
>
> I guess I could tolerate an SSD (solid state disk) socket... you
> never know when you could use 78M of disk with PicoBSD on it.
>

> Besides which, I'm pretty sure the motherboard is bigger than
>
>      ``2.7" by 1.7" by .25" for a volume of about a cubic inch''
>
>      http://wearables.stanford.edu/

Yep, this falls into the class of machines where USB and/or FireWire
would be an excellent choice.  But then, this is also the sort of
application where you're paying a significant bonus for small size
and reduced parts count.

But your original posting sounded like you were proposing a general-
purpose desktop or notebook machine which only offered power, USB, and
FireWire as external connectors.  For that you'd need to be much closer
to price/performance parity with more traditional designs.

-Pat