Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:37:16 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun License for JDK 1.4 forces automatic updates ?!!

> Interesting. Could someone please post this on Slashdot? While they are
> updating it, could they please fix the problem's we're seeing in the
> Linuxulator and 1.4?

I read this on /. in the first place:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/28/2135205

> > This sounds a scary to me. Looks like Sun is thinking: If
> > Microsoft can get away with it, so can we.
>
> I guess we knew it all along, but it was never this obvious: Sun ==
> Microsoft, only for UNIX. :-)
>
> > I believe we should consider banning the Sun JDK 1.4 for Linux.
>
> Uhm... on what grounds, precisely? If someone wants to install this kit
> they need to accept the license themselves. It is your own responsibility
> to read and understand the licenses you accept. You are free not to
> install the 1.4 release.

Somehow we should react. Perhaps an extra pre-fetch warning or so...

> We could debate the need for an additional warning about this in the
> post-install message. On second thought: if the user accepted the license
> without reading it, would he or she read the post-install message? I
> really doubt it.

pre-fetch is better, so they haven't accepted the license yet.

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ