Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:35:48 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@googlemail.com>
To:        Cristiano Deana <cristiano.deana@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help with setting up a mail server

On 21 July 2010 16:24, Cristiano Deana <cristiano.deana@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Aryeh M. Friedman
> <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am a consultant and was retained by my client to setup qmail or exim
> > on a VPS running 8.0-STABLE (i386). After setting up the DNS (A record
> > and MX record) we have been unable to send or receive mail.
>
> steps:
>
> a) check if your dns are correct:
> # dig yourdomain.com mx
> (eg:)
> mail.yourdomain.com
> # telnet mail.yourdomain.com 25
>
> does it reply or not?
>
> a) reply
>  check if your mta is cofigured correctly:
>  telnet mail.yourdomain.com 25 # write:
>  ehlo gmail.com
>  mail from: aryeh.friedman@gmail.com
>  rcpt to: example_user@yourdomain.com
>  data
>  Subject: Test
>  .
>
>  does it reply with a
>  2XX code? with a 4XX code? 5XX code?
>
> b) doesn't reply
>  does mail.yourdomain.com resolve to your mailserver's IP?
>  is your daemon runnig?
>
> p.s
> if you give us more REAL information (domain, ip, etc) we can hel you more.
>

> --
> Cris, member of G.U.F.I
> Italian FreeBSD User Group
> http://www.gufi.org/

while we are on the topic of debugging I would recomend exim as an MTA. I
manage a few large enterprise mail systems with 10M + active accounts. A lot
of them are legacy systems that we gained through acquisitions. I generally
have to support them until we can get the accounts migrated onto the main
platform. They are a mixture of exim, postfix, qmail, and sendmail, and
quite often are in a poor state when we first get our hands on them. I have
to say when you are getting mail routing issues exim is by the far the
easiest to debug mainly due to the -bt option. When you combine it with the
debug flag it produced a very detailed output on the mail routing. I have
never found such a feature in all the other MTA's above.

The configs are also very readable unlike sendmail.