Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 19:07:07 -0800
From:      Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG, java-port@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Crashes with Swing 1.0.1 and Lesstif 0.82/port

I've had several problems on FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE, Lesstif 0.82/port,
and SwingSet on Swing 1.0.1.

I compiled myself with the diffs from the 25th of February.
I do not have these problems on the static Motif version.

1. Xserver crashes with SIGSEGV when I try to access the "about"
   box. There is a complaint: "Warning: Color name "g" is not defined"
   followed by "Xalloc warning: Xalloc(<0) ignored.." and then
   "Xalloc error: Header corrupt in Xfree() :-(" [sic] on my
   console. I'm sure this had a SIGIOT the first time it crashed,
   though.
2. Runtime crashes with SIGSEGV in "Image Animator"
   (sun.awt.image.GifFrame.dispose(GifImageDecoder.java:621)) when
   I access the "Tooltips" tab and run my cursor over the cow.
3. Runtime crashed with SIGSEGV in "TimerQueue"
   (com.sun.java.swing.Timer.post(Timer.java:270)) when I adjusted the
   pad amount to 10 in the "Buttons" tab.
4. Runtime crashed with SIGSEGV in "Image Animator"
   (sun.awt.image.GifFrame.dispose(GifImageDecoder.java:621))
   when I fiddled with image checkboxes in the "Checkboxes" tab.
5. Runtime crashed with SIGSEGV in "TimerQueue"
   (com.sun.java.swing.TimerQueue.run(TimerQueue.java:249)) when
   I tried to play with combo choice 0 in the "ComboBox" tab.

Damon said:

    I no longer care about lesstif, so if you find that motif
    doesn't want this change, lets undo it.

in previous mail to this list. Should I consider investing in Motif
for FreeBSD? I wonder if I didn't compile correctly or something...
If I should use Motif, which version should I buy? How long can
I expect it to work with future versions of FreeBSD? I wonder
what our options are.

Again, thanks for all the work you're doing on this!

Steve