Date:      Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:55:54 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        secmgr <security@jim-liesl.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 as storage server with raid5?

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 05:04:57PM -0700, secmgr wrote:
> Christian Brueffer wrote:
>=20
> >>On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 12:18:57AM +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> >>  =20
> >>
> >>In short, don't write gvinum off just yet. Documentation is around the
> >>corner (as a result of a SoC project).
> >>  =20
> >>

> >Actually gvinum(8) has been committed to CURRENT and RELENG_6 a couple
> >of days ago.
> >
> >- Christian
> >=20
> >
> Whatever you do, don't complain about it on this list, or you'll just be=
=20
> told that if you really wanted raid, you should be running SCSI disks=20
> and a raid adapter.  They may allow that 3ware does ok, but no ATA drive=
=20
> should ever be relied on and even s/w raid on scsi is only for ignorant=
=20
> lusers who are too cheap to do the "right thing".
>=20
> Those who think I run to hyperbole need only visit the archives.  One=20
> can only hope that gvinum actually works in 6 vs the buggy and=20
> incomplete alpha code that shipped in 5.x.  Having a man page is nice,=20
> but I'd rather have a raid 5 set that didn't panic the system and=20
> corrupt the set when it lost a drive (and this with modern scsi drives=20
> and adapter).  I'd strongly suggest anyone using GEOM raid to do some=20
> fault insertion testing of their setup prior to actually relying on it.
>=20

Hmm, wasn't that a bug in the 5.3-RELEASE version that was fixed shortly
after the release?

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--