Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 20:55:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install to second hard-drive...

Hi guys. I have a friend who's trying to install FreeBSD to the Master IDE
hard-drive on the Secondary controller. The install sees the harddrive
just fine, and copies all the CDROM files to the drive - but after
everything is done, there's no way to boot freebsd, since the install only
touched the 2'nd disk (1st=win95,2nd=CDROM,3rd=freebsd).

There's no tips in the FAQ or handbook for installing on a drive other
than the 1st BIOS disk... just curious how I should place the boot manager
in the first drive so I can boot to freeBSD (without nuking win95).

Also, is there a way to use the boot floppy to boot from any drive? On my
system, I was able to boot from the floppy, and type:
1:sd(0,a)kernel

and it booted fine.. just doesn't seem to work with his wd drive though. I
tried several combinations, and all I get is nothing, or an error. Bummer.
I've tried installing both the Boot Easy and Standard bootmanagers to the
second drive. Just can't get it to boot!!

TIA,
-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
 Nature shows that with the growth of intelligence comes increased capacity
 for pain, and it is only with the highest degree of intelligence that
 suffering reaches its supreme point.  -- Arthur Schopenhauer