Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:20:16 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@eurocontrol.fr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Z505SX and the sound chip

Someone has made a patch to support the new Neomagic 256AV sound chip for
Linux.... Anyway to port it for our drivers ?

<http://www.uglx.org/sony.html>;
-=-=-
Glubber blarrgh lueggor, me mateys

The information below was all received in a dream. Thus it is not entirely
reliable; use at your own risk. I am not responsible for any loss that may
result from the use of this information--but you are!

Many modern laptops use the NeoMagic 256AV or 256ZX audio/video chipsets,
which contain a combined PCI-based soundcard and some version of their
video core. The audio portion comes in at least a couple of different
versions: a SB-16 hardware-compatible version, and a AC97-compatible
version. The Sony Z505S and Z505SX, some of the Sony F-series, and some
Dell Latitude laptops (CPi and CPt at least) have the AC97-compatible
chipset.

Here you will find the version 1.0 patch against kernel versions 2.2.5
through 2.2.12 that adds support for the 256AV and 256ZX. Be sure and read
Documentation/sound/NM256 before trying it out. It is working well for me
(and a lot of other people), and I can't honestly call it piss-poor
anymore.
-=-=-

--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- Eurocontrol EEC/TEC -=- Ollivier.Robert@eurocontrol.fr
Telecoms & Networking                                   Tél : 7290 - CS.28