Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 23:09:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com (Darryl Okahata)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

> > 	two sets of 3053's stripped would be incredible....especially at
> > under 40 cents a megabyte
>
>      A potentially good deal right now is the Quantum Lightning 730S
> (~699MB formatted, 4500RPM, 11ms avg. seek).  The internal version is
> selling for about $230 (APS Technologies), which translates into around
> $0.32/MB.  With a 1542CF controller, I get around 2MB/sec sustained
> transfers (iozone results have been appended).  Not great, but not bad,
> either.  For more info, see:

The ``Lightning'' series of drives are specifically aimed at the dollar
sensitive PC market, have a slow 11ms access time, a slow 4500rpm spindle
speed, and are totally missing the ability to do spindle sync operations.

The DEC/Quantum DSP3000 series of drives (which the 3053L is a member)
are specifically aimed at the high end high performance workstation market
(this is the series of drives DEC used in Alpha's).  They have fast 9.5mS
access times, fast 5400RPM spindle speeds, and have the spindle sync
function.

It is not fair to compare $/MB between different ``classes'' of disk
drives.

The 2MB/sec you are seeing is the limitation of your aha1542CF controller,
the lightning series of drives should do closer to 3MB/sec on a proper
controller.

> 	http://www.quantum.com/products/lightng.html
>
> I've got no connections with Quantum, aside from being a customer.

Disclaimer:  I have connections with Quantum, I am a Quantum VAR, I am
also a Quantum customer in a very big way.

>      The only downside is that the 730S has only a 2yr warranty.  I
> guess I'll find out what the reliability is like.

There are more downsides to that drive than just the 2yr warranty, as
stated above, and it has a MTBF that leaves me wondering just how long
past the 2 years it might live :-(.

>      -- Darryl Okahata
> 	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: this message is the author's personal opinion and does not
> constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
> little green men that have been following him all day.

:-)  I though the HP security folks had blue shirts :-).

>         IOZONE: Performance Test of Sequential File I/O  --  V2.01 (10/21/94)
>                 By Bill Norcott
>
>         Operating System: FreeBSD 2.x -- using fsync()
>
> IOZONE: auto-test mode

Defanitly the aha1542 speed limit looking at these numbers!!  They are
all too familiar to me!  Anyone have the 730S numbers run on a PCI
controller of some type?