Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:36:20 -0500
From:      "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        "Caroline Beauchamps" <caroline.beauchamps@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>, "'freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WaveLAN beacons

>From some old reading I recall that beacons to Lucent means an advance
packet that is sent out to see if the radio space to the target host is
available prior to sending a quantity of traffic.  Never sniffed it to see
what they were or if they were actually being sent.  I didn't see anything
that looked like beacons in the wl0 driver code so it may actually be
implemented in the modem, itself.

Hopefully, somebody will give you more specific answers.