Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:21:02 -0500
From:      "Ken Dreyer" <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com>
To:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd website questions

Hi FreeBSD www admins,

I am a college student assisting the OpenAFS project with redesigning
their website. One of the OpenAFS elders mentioned that he liked the
layout and functionality of FreeBSD's site. I was hoping you could
give me a few pointers :)

If you could start from scratch and do things over again, would you
prefer to use xml/xslt/Makefiles? Most website software has some sort
of web-based content editor, but I suppose this means no more editing
with vim/emacs. On the other hand, the current setup seems to limit
dynamic interaction, as Murray observed in his blog. How much of an
effect does this have on the community?

Murray had mentioned that the XML syntax can be raise the barrier to
entry for those who aren't web designers. What are some ways around
this?

Lastly, I see that your community uses your wiki a lot. What are your
thoughts about MoinMoin from an infrastructure admin's point of view?
I noticed that the Fedora project moved from MoinMoin to Mediawiki
recently, and I wondered: if you were able to start from scratch, what
wiki software would you use?

- Ken