Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:04:23 -0500
From:      Charles Owens <cowens@greatbaysoftware.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mptutil(8) causes VMware VM to crash hard

Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 02/11/10 23:29, Charles Owens wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We've been doing some work with mpt(4) and mptutil(8).  We noticed that
>> in VMware (both Workstation and ESX) the SCSI controller is showing up
>> as mpt0... so it seemed only natural to probe it with mptutil.  For
>
> Which is probably useless as you can't exactly diagnose a virtual drive :)

Well, not quite useless:  consider the possibility of a customized CD
with install script that can be run on a number of platforms.  As the
installer runs it notes the presence of /dev/mpt0 and then uses "mptutil
show adapter" and  other commands to determine type of controller, state
of volumes (if appropriate), etc.

A perfectly reasonable use-case, in my opinion.  But, in general, VMware
is an important enough platform that I suggest that mptutil should made
to play nice.