Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:13:36 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        gsutter@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uptime

On Apr 04, 1998 at 04:37:46AM -0400, gsutter@pobox.com wrote:
> It seems to me that a good advertising point for FreeBSD would be
> uptime.  For example, I had a 16MB 486 up for 71 days before a power
> outage killed it.  I have also seen posts with huge uptimes (600+ days)
> that would be great advertising.
>
> For posters, etc:  huge text in background, "465 Days", smaller bolder
> text in fore with "FreeBSD uptime" and a catchy slogan, e.g.  "What's a
> crash?"
>
> For animated/movie art (or a t-shirt): Something like "Joe's FreeBSD
> system has been running since..." and then various phrases or ideas
> like... "Before that other operating system was written." or "Bill
> Clinton was governor of Arkansas" and an appropriate picture or whatever
> else you can think of.
>
> Of course, to do things like this, we need documentable uptimes.  Who's
> got the longest uptime?  If you've got a really good one (couple hundred
> days minimum is ideal), post the output of "date && uptime".

Another dicksi^H^H^H^H^H^Huptime thread?  I don't have a box with
600 day uptime, will you settle for half of that?

    % uname -r; date; uptime
    2.2-960612-SNAP
    Tue Apr 28 08:59:28 CDT 1998
     9:06AM  up 304 days,  5:07, 1 user, load averages: 0.08, 0.08, 0.03

This is a little 386/20, w/4MB of memory, acting as a NTP server,
socks5 proxy, and network monitor.  It isn't idle; all socksified
traffic (like CVSup) goes through this box.  The machine itself is
an old Packard Bell which reached the end of it's useful life (according
to corporate), and which I reclaimed from the scrap heap.
--
Jonathan