Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:38:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        Peter Vereshagin <peter@vereshagin.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: binary updates for firefox and chromium?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Peter Vereshagin wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I find it impossible to rebuild the hard but very commonly used packages on
> every 'portaudit' notice.
>
> Impossible in my case means the result is unpredictable and the process is too
> long.
>
> This involves mozilloids and a chromium at the least, needn't to mention the
> OOo is a must, too.
>
> Looking at
>
>  http://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-current/www/
>
> I can't find them. FF is v16 there (v18+ is in the ports' head) and no any
> chromium.
>
> Does it mean that if I need the binary-updated firefox and chromium then I
> need to use pc-bsd?
>
> This makes me want even more to install a pc-bsd or the like into the jail
> and rolling binary updates there without its GUI.  Is there any 'been there,
> done that' for the case?

I am told that we are close to fixing all the issues that were found from the
Nov intrusion. I asked my same source about using parts of PCBSD. The answer I
got was the PCBSD package system was not compatible with the FreeBSD package
system. This is my understanding so all errors are mine. This is also a plea for
people with first hand information to chip in. Thanks.