Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 09:30:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Clay D. Hopperdietzel" <hoppy@appsmiths.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Minutes of the Thursday, April 13th core team meeting in Berkeley.

::
:: >Let it be forever noted that 2.0 was an exception.
[...]
::
:: I disagree with this, as the prior release that was burned into CD-ROM
:: (1.1) IMHO was also an inferior release due to a rushed testing phase.
:: Release 1.1.5.1, which is the best release to date, was essentially the
:: result of testing and bug fixes applied to 1.1.
[...]

Hmm... familiar territory.  I have the 1.0 CD for my 1.1.5.1 system, and the
2.0 for my 2.x-development -- neither of which match anything I'm running.

More importantly, If somebody rang me up this morning and said "Okay Hoppy,
I like this FreeBSD idea you were telling me about.  Let's put it on
our 200 in-house PC's, when can you start", I would be in a pinch.

The excellent comments on how to achive stable releases notwithstanding,
the immutability of the CD-ROM once burned (at WC's expense) is at least
one aspect of the problem.  I suspect that WC would not be pleased to
hear about how the "2.0 CDs they spent good money on are no good".

If I remember the DEC days right, I used to get a big tape with VMS on it,
and then 1-n patch tapes that I had to feed in right behind it if I wanted
to get to whatever point release (there were always patches).  In fact,
the version from the fat 9-track always warned you that you had not
applied your patches.  (They assumed from the git-go that the big release
would never run in that form).

Discounting the source-level consumers (who are going to get the current
source under their own power anyway), I wonder if it would improve matters
if WC could ship a "patch floppy"(s) along with their current "burned" CD
version of FreeBSD.  Right now, WC could be shipping the 2.0 CD with
sufficient patches to turn it into a much-more-stable mid-march version,
rather than waiting for D-day to burn another batch.

Everyone seems to be unable (for their own good reasons) to get a good
release to the field -- even though better snaps exist.

The mechanism should be automagic for the binary installation.  It should
also know how to upgrade an older system in place.  To me these are the
essance of how prospective users can use FreeBSD without having to be or
pay an expert.

Clay D. Hopperdietzel 					    hoppy@appsmiths.com
AppSmiths, Inc.                         Voice (713) 578-0154 Fax (713) 578-6182
15915 Katy Fwy, Suite 470                        Where do *I* Want to Go Today?
Houston, Texas  77094                                                  FreeBSD!