Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 07:53:49 +1000
From:      Mark Sergeant <msergeant@snsonline.net>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@complx.LF.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
Subject:   Re: Network Monitoring

On 05/01/2006, at 1:20 AM, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> nagios (also in the ports). It's extremely flexible.
>
> We have performance issues with it (approx. 400 systems).
>
> Is this just us or ... ?

Nope not just you, 1k hosts and the system was almost unusable on a
dual amd mp2800, in the end I wrote my own monitoring system running
from a db backend and achieved the same results as nagios with 1/50th
the actual load whilst also keeping historical data in a db.

Nagios is great if you need the multitude of host checks
(ssh,apache,mysql,postgres, etc etc) for a core network, but if
you're just after something to check host connectivity it may not be
the right tool for the job.

Cheers,

Mark