Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 18:53:27 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        allenc@verinet.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 3.3.1 distribution problem

Allen Campbell scribbled this message on Oct 18:

[...]

> Ok, no pkg_add.  I think (as opposed to know) that the XFree86
> distribution in XF8633 is not assembled by FreeBSD maintainers, so I
> wasn't suprised that pkg_add didn't work.  However, the bug database
> reference I found did not specifiy _how_ to manually install.  Futher
> searching in the mail archive said I should use the 'extract.sh'
> script.  I hunted through ftp.freebsd.org and ftp.cdrom.com; no
> extract.sh.

the problem is that you didn't read the documentation that is in the
same directory as XF33{,1}bin.tgz

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/XFree86/current/binaries/FreeBSD-2.2/{FILES,README,RELNOTES,extract,preinst.sh,postinst.sh}

and ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.2-RELEASE/XF38633 is just a
symnlink to the above directory...

> Finally, I gave up, made the /usr/X11R6 directory and untared X33bin.tgz
> into it.   I also ran ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib as per the postinst.sh
> script in the XFree86 3.3.1 distibution.

if you read the docs that is one of the ways to install it...

> Java is happy now.  I'm not running X, so I don't need more than the
> libs in X33bin.tgz.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  What is the recommended way to install XFree86
> 3.3.1 on FreeBSD 2.2.2, in case I get inspired and try to install the
> rest.

as above, read the install documentation that comes with XFree86..

also.. if you installed X33bin.tgz you actually installed XFree86
version 3.3, and not 3.3.1... just so you know...

hope this helps...  ttyl...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD