Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:11:42 -0500
From:      Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>
To:        chuck <chuck@iconnet.net>
Cc:        Asif Haswarey <Asif.Haswarey@Eng.Sun.COM>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, bright@hotjobs.com, paipai@tin.it
Subject:   Re: [Ultra] Compiler, again

> Use GNU make.
>

> Chuck Youse - Icon CMT Network Operations Center
> chuck@iconnet.net

Definitely good advice!

I have the full complement of GNU tools installed on my Solaris box and also have the search path ordered so they are found first.

texinfo-3.12 compiled and installed without any complaints.

It took me the better part of a day to get everything built, but I'd really recommend that you do this too.

Unfortunately, the prebuilt binary packages at http://www.sunfreeware.com seem to be a tad stale, or you could load them from there.

ISTR some RPM initiative for Solaris?

Meanwhile,  I'm going to take a crack at getting egcs-1.1b cross-compiling from x86 FreeBSD.  The recent RTEMS-4.0.0 release uses EGCS and there may be some wisdom embedded in their patches and scripts.  We'll see  ;-)

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
Jerry.Hicks@glenayre.com