Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 22:13:45 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, bmk@fta.com, brantk@atlas.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail

> However, you are also going to find that there are those of us who
> are definitely "UNIX die-hards", but we just do not have the time in a day
> to do all the things we would like to.  Tools help.  And they help a
> lot.

Oh, no argument at all there - why do you think I came up with the
ports collection in the first place? :-) It was really aimed primarily
at admins, like myself, who didn't want to have to remember all the
details for building the dozens of tools they typically brought onto
every new box.  I started with a shell makefile for emacs, then bash,
then I moved the common elements into a .mk file, then, well, the rest
is history. :-)

I'm all for making life easier, I just want to make sure that whatever
we come up with can eventually be built into something as
comprehensive as the ports collection has become under Satoshi's
expert tutilage.

						Jordan