Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 2009 07:07:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: / almost out of space just after installation

> From: Randi Harper <randi@freebsd.org>

> I was thinking that a more acceptable default layout
> (leaving swap at it's current default size) would be:
>
> / = 1GB
> /var = 2GB
> /tmp = 2GB

Similar enough to what I use for general systems that I vote YES.

I'd love to add one more - on a drive bigger than, say, 40 GB, adding a separate /home would be wonderful.  Maybe allow up to 20 GB for user, all remaining space allocated to /home?

Regardless of the second point, the first point is fine, though.