Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:43:47 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Talbot <cwtalbot@intellex.com>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

On Thursday 09 October 2003 08:07 am, Talbot wrote:
> Greetings
> I recently installed FreeBSD 4.5 with desk top KDE using a CD that
> came with the book, FreeBSD Unleashed, by Michael Urban and Brian
> Tiemann.  Everything seemed to go fine until I execute startx.  The
> desktop environment on my screen "seems" to be at least four times as
> big as it should be, displaying only the top left portion of the
> desktop.

The Handbook section 5.4 covers this information. Your problem is that
you have a "virtual desktop", one that is larger than the size of your
screen. This is the unfortunate default.

My preferred method of configuring XFree86 is to first run "XFree86
-configure" to detect the video card and monitor. That's only to get
this information. Then I run the command line configuration utility,
xf86config, manually. Answer all of the questions. Then when it comes
to display modes, make sure you select and appropriate display size,
and then answer NO to "Do you want a virtual screen that is larger than
the physical screen?".

Then once you get a XF86Config file that works, SAVE IT!

But read the handbook first.

David