Date:      23 Nov 1996 12:32:01 +0100
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Laptops. Is something missing?

>> On Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:36:09 -0800 (PST), Doug White
>> <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> said:

    DW> On 20 Nov 1996, Peter Mutsaers wrote:
    JH> Also, someone posted this URL a while back, which should help you out:
    JH> http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa/PAO/
    >>
    >> Aha, this URL is very useful. There is a complete pcmcia package with
    >> many drivers. I have a Megahertz pcmcia ethernet card which is
    >> supported. It is only surprising that this is not in the standard
    >> (current) kernel since it would save a lot of people the work of
    >> patching the kernel sources etc.

    DW> The problem is that they have to remove most of the devices
    DW> from the boot floppy to fit the pccard stuff on.  So you end
    DW> up with a really bare boot floppy that may not work for
    DW> everyone because they had to remove the Seagate SCSI card
    DW> driver and your FreeBSD disk is hanging off one of those.

    DW> Second, the PAO floppies are built post-RELEASE by someone
    DW> outside the FreeBSD developer's team, so when the CD goes to
    DW> press the new boot floppy hasn't been rolled yet.  Putting the
    DW> last RELEASE's PAO floppy on the current RELEASE CDROM doesn't
    DW> make sense when you have to do a net install anyway.  :(

My problem is that I have a laptop without CDROM; I have to install
FreeBSD using the pcmcia ethernet card.

Alas the PAO floppy doesn't really work. My Megahertz ethernet card is
recognized, I can ifconfig it. But when I try to access the network
(ping or whatever) nothing appears on the net. The laptop thinks it is
sending to the ethernet correctly, but when I look from another
computer with tcpdump I see no activity at all.

I'm really dissapointed. On my main computer I had to install Linux
because of ISDN support. Now I thought that at least on my new laptop
I could run FreeBSD, but as it stands now Linux does support my pcmcia
ethernet card but FreeBSD does not. I was hoping I could finally have
a nice FreeBSD computer again. I really hope I can make PAO work on my
laptop.

I might want to try to build a kernel from PAO together with -current
on my main computer, then try this kernel on my laptop. Does anyone
have experience with this?

--
Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust is a good quality
plm@xs4all.nl   |  the Netherlands    |  for other people to have