Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 13:05:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>
To:        Joel Kelmenson <joel@quicklink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation Needed for server setup

On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Joel Kelmenson wrote:

> for a web and news server.  I have one system that I would like
> to use.  It is a P90 PCI, 8mb, 720mb ide drive.

First, take it from my expierence and pains and considerable help from
Jordan. You absolutely do not want to use IDE for anything intensive,
especially not in a server of any sort. And also don't mix the two! If
you plan on having any kind of active site, 8mb is nothing, 32MB a
minimum, 64 if you can swing it. Believe me, Memory is cheaper then
having to run in to reset a system every few hours!

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> Things to suggest:
>         1. Best CPU

ASUS MB P55-socket7 with at least a P133MHz

>         2. How much RAM (minimum, optimum, overkill).

32MB, 64MB, or maxed. Overkill is subjective though. You size your memory
needs to your expected volume. 128KB or higher could well be justified
depending on your activity. Take a look at what ftp.cdrom.com is using
now adays and you'll see. That's not overkill, just a well sized system
for the load. :-)

 >         3. Best adapters to use. >

Adpatec PCIs . Our news server has a 3940 (2 chains) and a 2940. 3
controllers with over 14 gigs spread among them. It works rather well.

We use SMC Ethernet PCIs. Again, very robust never had any problems with
them.

 >      4. Hard drives (type, brand, size, etc..).

I use Quqantums as much as possibly. Type and size is your call. Whether
you need fast or fast-wide and how big you want is something you should
think about. One big drive isn't always best as well. It helps to spread
things on different chains.

>         5. Software (web server, news server, tools, etc..).

Whatever you need, again it depends on the task you want to do. I'd
reccommend FreeBSD for the OS. :-) Apache web server, and INN for your
news software.

>         6. Where to get the best prices.

Shop around! I'd caution you though if you're planning on using this
system for some kind of production ISP machine. It pays 10-fold to spend a
little extra and buy from a local hardware dealer then to mess with
mailorder.  Believe me, as you grow, this guy will get to know you and
value your patronage. The place I get my stuff from I typically spend
$5-$10k a month at (mostly modems and machines) and I get very excellent
service as a result. I can go in, pick up spare controllers and parts for
testing and tryout without any problems at all. I get 1 hour response
times (or faster)on failed stuff simply by driving over to the place
picking up a replacement and swapping it in. No hassles at all and I
dont't have to wait for a fed-ex truck!

Robert Du Gaue - rdugaue@calweb.com                  http://www.calweb.com
President, CalWeb Internet Services Inc.                    (916) 641-9320