Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 14:03:01 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Alfred Pythonstein <pythonstein@hotmail.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Insider's scoop: Why FreeBSD is dying

In a message written on Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 02:48:55AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Examining the headers, it looks like Hotmail has a full class "B"
> (64.4/16); that's surprising.  Why the heck do they have a full

They seem to have 64.4/18.  64/8 and 65/8 are being chopped up for
smaller allocations by the registries.

> class B?!?  If you are using load balancers for distribution, then
> you basically need only enough IP addresses to provide publically
> accessible VIPs to the various public services you export as seperate
> entities.  There's no *way* they have 65,534 (subtracting out the
> unusable ones) of those!

No one providing network services should ever be required to use
any technology other than plain IP to provide it.  That includes
NAT and load balancers.  If they want to have 10,000 machines
(which, by the way, I believe they have well over from some press
stuff on them) exposed to the Internet, and merely have a front
end web server that directs users to the appropriate server more
power to them.  Having seen first hand the disaster that most NAT
and load balancers create I know I'd avoid them if at all possible.

> Maybe it's just so that if a host gets RBL'ed or otherwise
> blacklisted, they can switch IPs, and won't have an interruption
> of email service to their customers?  If that's the case, that

I'd point out most black lists are fairly good at checking registry
allocation data, and blocking all the mail servers in a block if
Spam continues.  So if that were a problem you'd see 64.4/18 on the
block list.

ARIN has guidelines for allocating IP's.  I don't agree with all
of them, but they are fully documented on www.arin.net.  I don't
believe Microsoft was able to get around that process.  So they
are playing by the same rules and guidelines as anyone else.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org