Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:04:17 +0100
From:      "Stuart Duckworth" <ITServices@cableinet.co.uk>
To:        "F. Even" <freebsdlists@elitists.org>
Cc:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft bashers

F. Even wrote:

> Now...we don't need to make this a political argument

I'm afraid that as politics is the process by which a society decides
who gets how much of the available resources; and that
government and its various arms are the organs through which
society debates and executes those decisions; and it is clear that
in the US at least the Government has decided that Microsoft may
have or has sequestered more than its fair share of available
resources; this is de facto a political argument.

> ....esp. since the
> scenario you have painted is not necessarily dead on.  Quite open to
> debate as a matter of fact

That would be a political debate.

> ....and this isn't necessarily the place for
> that.

No, not necessarily.  However, the rules of FreeBSDnewbies list
state that this is a place for general discussions and quite a few
people seem to think that this is an appropriate place for a
discussion about the politics of computing.  I find that
understandable.

I am sitting here writing this using Pegasus Mail on a Windows
platform because for years that is what I have used.  When I first
got into computing in about 1976 I used CPM on a Commodore.  A
little later I got to use Acorn's BBC machines, whose graphics and
accessibility were far superior to anything from Microsoft.  I looked
at Windows then and came to the conclusion that it was an inferior
product.  I looked at Macs too and found them different from Acorn
machines and also superior to Microsoft.  As time went on I
continued to use Acorn machines, graduating in time to RISC
machines, whose software's speed and efficiency far outstripped
Microsoft's offerings.  My old Acorn Archimedes, which is now
lying in a cupboard, had a front end that looked like Windows 95
while Microsoft were still peddling Windows 3.11.  I just re-read
that and realise that what I should have said was: "whose front end
predated Windows 95 in utility and style."  So why did I end up
using this machine?  Simple: economics!  80x86 processors are
everywhere and while they are hopelessly inefficient in terms of
power than Acorn's RISC machines, they are much cheaper to
buy.  The development of cheap hardware: RAM, hdd's and so on,
made it cheaper to use 80x86 stuff.  RISC machines need little
RAM and small executables, which was a great advantage when
hardware was expensive but is not now.  Microsoft is ubiquitous:
not because it is good necessarily but because of very effective
marketing and "interesting" corporate practices.

Having succumbed at last to Microsoft, why am I subscribed to and
interested in Unix?  I used it at university in 1991 and loved its
power, fexibility and simplicity.  I want to know more about it and
perhaps to use it in the future instead of Windows.  It'll take time, I
know but I shall nibble away at it and hope to get somewhere with
it.

I want to persevere also because I dislike being taken for granted
by anyone.  I feel sometimes that Microsoft, among others, takes
me and my money for granted.  Something like: "We know you'll
come to us because there's precious little you can do about it."  I
have installed Star Office on this machine and use it and Pegasus
and Netscape in preference to Microsoft's products.  In time I may
be able to use Star Office in a Unix environment, that would be
good.  I don't know whether Pegasus is available for Unix/Linux but
if it is, I can use that there too.  Note here though that the software
I prefer operates inside a GUI.  I don't dislike command line work
but for visual pleasure and simplicity of day to day tasks GUI's are
better IMHO!!!!

This started off about politics.  The politics for me, at my own
personal level is in that last paragraph: I do not like them to take
me and my money for granted.  I want to be in a position to decide
who gets what of my resources.  At a national and global level I
worry that power tends to corrupt, absolute power tends to corrupt
absolutely.  I think that the Microsoft corporation may have been
corrupted by the power it wields.  That worries me.  There are other
corrupt organisations out there but this would not be the place to
discuss them.

Stuart.