Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 15:45:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 3.0 current fails ipfilter 3.2b8 build (fwd)

In some mail I received from Terry Lambert, sie wrote

> > > I think that's because they are needed externally.
> > > the flags word is passed around independantly of the
> > > ifnet.  (e.g. through the API)
> >
> > okay, this is the second time you're referred to the API.
> >
> > Where can it be found ? Who is responsible for it ?
>
> W. Richard Stevens.
>
> If the code isn't portable to Linux, SVR4, and Solaris without
> compile time switches, why write it?

Well, prior to these changes to FreeBSD, it was portable between
*BSD/SunOS4/Solaris2 without any compile time switches - not sure
about Linux.  Why ?  Because up until recently, all would give
you "struct ifnet" if you included net/if.h.

So there you have it.

This makes it harder to port code to FreeBSD.

Or, from the other angle, FreeBSD code is less portable.

Isn't that just wonderful ?  *spew*

Darren