Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:23:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        garyj@muc.de
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   i4b and netgraph (was: I4B support for US ISDN?)

>From the keyboard of Gary Jennejohn:

> >What do you think of the idea of making i4b express itself as a
> >netgraph node? This would be a good thing IMHO.
> >
> >-Archie
>
> I think the idea of moving isdn4bsd to netgraph is neat. The question is,
> what does the father of isdn4bsd (Hellmuth Michaelis) think ? I'd respect
> his opinion on this. I know one of his TODOs is to implement isdn4bsd using
> message queues. This might be made unnecessary by using netgraph.

Some random thoughts about that:

- as long as netgraph is not a standard part of FreeBSD i don't think its
	a good idea to move i4b to netgraph.

- currently, i4b is relatively self-contained and runs under all BSD's (i've
	got even BSD/OS patches for it). Going to netgraph seems to imply
	a then necessary namechange from isdn4bsd to isdn4freebsd (or to
	package netgraph into the i4b distribution which i don't like at all).

- as far as i understood the netgraph docs, they also use function calls
	and _no_ message queues for interlayer communication. So going
	to netgraph would not solve the mentioned problem. BTW: i once
	asked Terry about the queue/function tradeoffs when that was
	discussed on the mailinglist and got no reply.

- The ISDN model has a LME (layer management entity) connected to all
	layers using a different path to communicate than the interlayer
	communication mechanism, and i learned that implementing this is
	a must. I don't see how this is being done using netgraph.

- More, i currently don't see how the isdnd's functionality is brought
	to netgraph.

- To my astonishment, i have read in the netgraph docs that Whistle
	plans to netgraph-enable the i4b ISDN driver code; i wasn't
	aware of that yet since Whistle seem to have its own ISDN stack
	and wasn't interested in i4b any longer after a short period of
	interest long time ago.

- The last thing i personally need are 2 versions of i4b, one netgraphized
	and one not netgraphized.

- There is much more to to do to functionally enhance i4b, to make it more
	robust and to fix some bugs in it and i don't have an idea if net-
	graphizing i4b brings us more forward with these issues since my
	time budget is clearly limited.

In a word, i'm a bit sceptical.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77