Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:00:49 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does kernel option "CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU" apply to Intel Celeron CPU's?

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 02:03:17AM -0400, Sung Nae Cho wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Anyone here know if the kernel option in LINT, "CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU"
> applies to Celeron processors or if it only applies to 586 cpus as it's
> name seem to suggest?

It doesn't apply to Celerons.

> Also,  I've noticed that you can get the soundcard to work in FreeBSD by
> compiling the sound support in kernel (say, options pcm) instead of using
> the module?  If there isn't any advantages, I'd rather want to keep the
> kernel size small and load the modules as necessary.

The only real downside is that you have to keep your modules in sync
with your kernel.  If you use 'make buildkernel' as documented then
there's no problem.

> Lastly, if I'll be loading the USB modules from /boot/loader.conf, do I
> still need to have the USB options compiled in the kernel or that's not
> necessary?

Not necessary (and if you have it compiled in, you can't load the module :)

Kris

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH--