Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 17:26:54 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reply-to addresses

>> sendmail here will properly prune mailing lists if they are expanded
>> in /etc/aliases (or its include file).  But I thought that
> but the aliases are not fully expanded by sendmail.
> majorodmo does the full expansion for each list individually.
> by then sendmail has sent the message to each person listed
> and to each majordomo list.  its now too late to prune.

Now let's look at the next section, in which I cover this
eventuallity.

>> chat@freebsd.org was a majordomo robot which exploded the message and
>> sent it out, in which case it could look at the To: and Cc: headers
>> anyway.
> i dont understand how pruning could happen :( if i send
> mail to both joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu and hackers@freebsd.org,
> a list to which joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu is subscribed, sendmail
> sends one copy of hte message directly to joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
> and another to hackers@freebsd.org.  hackers@freebsd.org
> then sends a copy to all subscribers including hackers@freebsd.org.
> how can pruning work in such a situation?

We reprogram majordomo to recognize that the message had
"To: joelh@gnu" in the header and not send it to me when it expands
hackers.  Sure, sendmail has already sent a message to me, but we keep
majordomo from sending it instead of trying to keep sendmail from
sending it.

Remind me, why does majordomo expand the aliases itself instead of
letting sendmail do it with a :include: that majordomo can maintain?

Hapy hacking,
joelh

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the Free Software Foundation's.

Second law of programming:
Anything that can go wrong wi
sendmail: segmentation violation -- core dumped