Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 2014 23:23:55 -0500
From:      "David J. Weller-Fahy" <dave+lists.freebsd-questions@caterva.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem adding second mirror to zpool

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

* Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org> [2014-12-05 12:26 -0500]:
>On 12/5/14 6:19, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:
>>* David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.freebsd-questions@caterva.org>
>>[2014-12-04 21:03 -0500]:
>>>#v+
>>>root@nastie:~ # zpool attach pool \
>>>    /dev/gptid/c6ede2a4-78a6-11e4-8646-0014222d98da \
>>>    /dev/gptid/fadbb43d-7aa2-11e4-8452-0014222d98da
>>>cannot attach /dev/gptid/fadbb43d-7aa2-11e4-8452-0014222d98da to \
>>>    /dev/gptid/c6ede2a4-78a6-11e4-8646-0014222d98da: no such device in
>>>pool
>>>#v-
>
>The error is about the first device not being in the zpool, so I would=20
>first make sure that I shell completed the device name (path) instead=20
>of cut and paste or typing. A hidden character (backspace maybe) could=20
>make this fail.

I made sure I was using shell completion, and tried from a terminal on=20
the device (rather than sshing into the box), with the same error.

>If that fails I would try exporting the importing the zpool.

I tried booting from a Live CD (USB-key, but same idea), imported the=20
zpool, exported the zpool, then imported it again, and finally executed=20
the same commands.  Same error.

I then tried removing the second partition from the first mirror, so=20
there were only two drives in the pool, neither mirrored, and tried to=20
add the partition again.  Same error.

I then decided I needed more information, and tried to get it by=20
executing `zdb -C`... which gave me a new error!  The new error follows.

#v+
root@~ # zdb -C
cannot open '/boot/zfs/zpool.cache': No such file or directory
#v-

However, I believe that's just because I'm in a live boot that doesn't=20
normally contain my zpool.  Looking in pool/root/boot/zfs I see the=20
zpool.cache file, so this is probably a red herring.

At this point I'm not sure what to try other than copying all the data=20
off the zpool, destroying the zpool entirely, and adding all the disks=20
at once during creation.  Any other suggestions?

>I saw your comment about size, but error is not related to size of the=20
>new device, but that the zpool command cannot find the existing device=20
>in the zpool to attach the new one to. You _may_ still have a space=20
>issue, but that is not this error.

Yes: the comment about size was more about what would be needed to copy=20
all the data off the zpool if I needed to wipe everything and start=20
over.  It was not about the space on the zpool or sizes needed for the=20
zpool, but I may have been unclear.

Regards,
--=20
dave [ please don't CC me ]